Punishments.... Are these for a small child? Or maybe an adult living in Asia?
Coming to East Asia, I had NO idea of the Asian propensity toward Punishments. When you play games, they take great delight in "punishing" the loser!
For Example: I was playing UNO with some Korean friends. After the game, the Koreans made everyone stack a hand in the middle of the table (one hand on top of another persons hand and so on...). Hands were stacked according to how many points you were left with at the end of the game. The biggest losers hand was on top. My hand was somewhere in the middle. Strategically, this is supposed to be a better spot, but strategy doesn't do much when you don't know what's going on. Why didn't I know? Instructions were being given in Korean and East Asian. (apparently I need to work on my gaming vocabulary too). Anyhow, I suddenly realize the UNO winners hand is not being stacked with the rest. In fact, she's raising her hand as if to strike the rest of our hands.... how could this be? my brain slowly processes... And then I see her hand slicing through the air with such fury as only a small Asian woman can muster. I think you might be able to guess the rest of the story. My hand is still stinging.
I learned my lesson. As I watched all the others pull their hands away at the last second, I knew this was a Punishment. I also knew I needed to work on my less than cat-like reflexes.
Another Story: I was playing a group game and my group won! (yay!) The losing group was then forced to perform a Punishment. They all had to face the wall and write their names in the air with their butts! I know this sounds ridiculous, but trust me it LOOKS even more ridiculous! If you've never seen a person dot an "i" with their booty, you haven't really lived. (watching them write Asian characters is even more hilarious)
The Final Story for this Post: I thought I should mention some Punishments are not really Punishments at all. I'm convinced a few of our EA students set themselves up to lose, just so they can be punished by having to sing a song in front of the entire group.
Why do I suspect this? Well, besides the fact I live in a nation known for adoring Karaoke, I also note the choice of song. Usually the condemned sing long (perhaps drawn out) ballads of love or loss. Once, we were 2 minutes into listening and the singer's voice cracked dramatically (yes, he was a teenage male), we all started clapping in encouragement and completion. He hushed us and continued for another 2 minutes. Somehow I don't think this guy felt punished. But, our group quieted and we gave him his 4 minutes of fame :) (which is something I love about EA culture)
Maybe some of you can bring these punishments back to the US...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment