Happy New Year!
Quick Clarification: This is the Lunar New Year we're talking about - EA's celebrate both the Calendar New Year and the Lunar New Year - I love it!
Back to writing -- I just celebrated my FIRST new year in EA. I've been in other parts of Asia for the New Year, but this was my first time celebrating in the city where I live.
About a week before the New Year Holiday, fireworks stands started emerging all along the roads and in various stores. I would see average looking EA men in lines waiting to buy hundreds of dollars worth of fireworks. The fireworks themselves ranged from strings of loud little bombs that go off in succession to the beautiful fly-up-in-the-air-and-explode-in-an-array-of-color type. I like the colorful ones.
About a week before New Years Eve, the streets started getting quieter. Shops were closing. Restaurants with cheap EA food were harder to find. Our veggie street was closed down (literally a street with people selling vegetables that are laid out on sheets on the side of the road).
A couple days before the Eve, random explosions of fireworks started going off all around the city. We live on the 24th floor, so we have quite a view.
On the Eve itself, patterned firework outbursts could be heard all day. They increased in frequency after night started to fall. The fireworks are set off without any concern for fire safety, so many exploded directly outside our building. From our apartment, we were able to look down on the large colored explosions or even look straight out as some of the sparks would hit the glass of our window. In the US (unless you're from WVA), you only see fireworks like this from a safe distance and from the underside. It was amazing to look down on them, amazing. I would stand at the window in awe.
This awe was only increased as midnight approached. The entire city erupted in fireworks. We were at a friends apartment on their 23rd floor roof with a 300 degree view of the city. Amazing. We could see fireworks exploding right in front of us, as well as from miles away. I have always loved the 4th of July in the US, but I don't think the Independence Day fireworks will ever be impressive to me in the future.
Seriously, I have never seen so many fireworks - I'll have Rob post a video very soon. I'm sure it won't do justice to the beauty - but we can try :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
As I watched the 6 year old playing with firworks around my apartment complex, I wondered why, in America, guns are legal to own, but fireworks are not. But here, guns are illegal and fireworks are legal. Isn't America weird !
-Rood
Post a Comment