Rob just taught me 4 "words" that changed my life - "qing rang yi xia." This is the most polite way of asking someone to "please let me pass."
With all the walking, bike riding, getting on/off busses, taking the subway....you'd think I would have learned this by now. However, polite terminology is lacking over here. However, that's exactly why this "phrase" is so awesome! The East Asians don't even see it coming and when it hits their ears, they are so stunned that they practically fall to the side and make way for my presence to gently pass through. I can't figure out if they're more surprised by hearing the word "please" or by the white face using it.
Case in point: When I ride my bike up to a certain stop light, it's almost guaranteed to have 10-15 bikes/motorcycles sitting and waiting for the light to turn green. I want to turn right, so technically I don't need to wait. Of course, if they're all blocking my way, I have no choice but to wait....until this past week that is! I pulled up to "said intersection" and pulled out a sweet sounding "qing rang yi xia." The sea of bikers parted. So well this phrase of mine worked, that I kept saying it until lo and behold I had reached the front of the pack and I was on my way!
Lovely, just lovely!
Actually, the East Asians make fun of Americans for being too polite! (and I agree with them) Maybe I mentioned this before? I forget. Anyway, an example of this is me (an American) at a restaurant. The waitress brings the silverware and I say "xie xie." (thank you) This is normal for most Americans, but saying thank you over here is quite strange. Then, the waitress brings my drink and I say "xie xie." Then, she brings my food and I say "xie xie." At this point, in her other hand, I realize she has a refill for my drink, so I say "xie xie" again. Even I'm feeling awkward at this point, so awkward that when the napkins come (and napkins only come if you request them) I pretend not to notice.
But - back to my original point - my life has improved dramatically this week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment