Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We were tricked, but there was a treat...

I'm a sucker for discounts.

There's a new restaurant in our city called "Oro." It was advertising 50% off all food during the month of October, so of course I wanted to try it out!

We waited for 20 minutes in the rain to get a taxi. I should have seen this as a bad omen.

As soon as Rob/I entered the restaurant, I recognized I was under-dressed in my bright blue LL Bean rain jacket. (side note: I love this jacket!) It didn't really matter though, as we were the only customers.

Immediately the server came with the menu. Let's be honest, he didn't have anything else to do. Looking at the menu, the restaurant was charging $6 for a can of soda! I could get the same can of soda at the convenience mart next door for less than 50 cents! I asked for ice water and they said "no, but I could pay for Evian." I said "no" and I went without a drink. (the drinks weren't included in the 50% off)

Rob ordered the cheapest meal on the menu, a ravioli dish at $20 before the discount (we kept our fingers crossed that it wouldn't have too much egg, since he's allergic). I ordered an appetizer, eggplant parmigiana at $15 before the discount.

We really should have just left, but we stayed. We weren't sure what to do. We felt bad because they didn't have any other customers. We were also embarrassed by the idea of walking out. What's proper etiquette in these situations?

When our food came, we almost laughed. They gave Rob 6 ravioli, each the size of a silver dollar. That's over $3 per ravioli! They gave me a small cube of eggplant with a sprinkle of Parmesan. We ate quickly and got the heck out of there!

Thankfully, our date night didn't end poorly. We found a cute cafe nearby and bought warm drinks, along with marble cheesecake for me (I'm not allergic to eggs). The cafe had a television upstairs with CNN on in English! We caught up with the presidential race and found out that now the eggs here have melamine too! oh well, at least we know Rob won't be affected!

No comments: