Warning: The below story will contain multiple usages of the word “bra.”
If at all possible, I try to avoid shopping for clothing in
This might be the most difficult purchase for a Western woman to make in EA. Most stores do not have this item, because their customers have no physical need for it. If I’m lucky enough to find a store that has them, the given item is usually far too small or else lacks the needed “support” for running.
Yesterday, I found a New Balance store that had sports bras! I grabbed the largest size offered (a US medium) and debated my purchase. Rob suggested I try it on in the small lone dressing closet next to the cash register. I hesitated, knowing that somehow an uncomfortable situation between me and the EA salesman would ensue. I tried looking for return policies… maybe I could buy it and return it if I needed to… no such luck…
I decided to go for the fitting room, hoping the awkwardness of a white woman trying on a bra would be enough for the EA salesman to stay away. I was wrong. This salesman didn’t just open the fitting room for me. He took the bra out of my hands, looked at the size, looked at me, and said (I’ll translate) enough or not enough? (stress on not enough) (I’ll translate again) He said, I don’t think this bra is big enough for you.
I was mortified. I turned to Rob and pretended not to know what the man had said. Then I babbled in English (note: the salesman doesn’t even understand English) about how a medium in the
Then, I tried to take control of the situation. I smiled and told the EA salesman I thought it was “enough.” Hesitating, he let me try it on. And indeed, it WAS enough! I also (accidentally) got my deodorant all over it as I was trying it on, making me feel like I had to buy it no matter what.
Next time, I might just ask one of you to mail me a bra…
1 comment:
Hey April!!! I love your new blog! It's cool to hear more about what is going on over there. Can't wait to be there and see for myself! If you want me to bring you any bras or other things when I come I would love to. Have fun with the picnic in a few weeks!!
Post a Comment